Kevin Westerling, editor of Water Innovations magazine, tapped SmartCover’s senior project manager Ron Toten to outline the future of collection systems for readers of its special issues on the Top 10 Trends of 2020.
In “The Future of Collection Systems,” Toten describes the current state of our nation’s collection systems, and provides a vision for the future: “The collection system of the future will be rooted in an understanding of real-time conditions and digital data designed to:
- Maximize the operational availability of our constructed infrastructure;
- Adapt to rapidly and dynamically changing volume, velocity, and constituents;
- Maximize the effectiveness and reduce costs of operations;
- Protect water reclamation assets; and
- Ensure the integrity of recoverable resources.